Drug Development Project Manager
Vir Biotechnology (Vir) a San Francisco company focused on infectious disease is seeking an experienced drug-development Project Manager to drive cross-functional product development operational activities associated with ongoing early development assets.
- Support Program Lead with driving strategic planning and execution in support of multiple development programs.
- Using prior project/program management knowledge within the drug development industry, the project manager plans, coordinates and tracks the progress of cross-functional projects/programs of considerable complexity and scale. Responsible for the initiation, planning, execution, monitoring and closure of projects at the project level.
- Develop and manage timelines in support of specific product candidates.
- Creates and maintains project/program plans, timelines, agendas, budgets, resourcing requirements, rolling summaries and other tools required to facilitate planning and coordination of deliverables for the project/program.
- Be an active participant at cross-functional Program Team and sub-team meetings. Plan and track functional resources for any given Program.
- Support Program Lead in the collaboration activities with external partners.
- Provide critical inputs into the business planning process. Key project activities and costs are expected to be estimated, tracked and managed for each cost center to support planning and prioritization of resources and projects.
- Actively participate and may lead the implementation of new processes and process improvement initiatives designed to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of Program Leadership and Alliance Management function.
- Functions as a liaison between functional areas to facilitate the advancement of cross-functional projects/programs through the pipeline. Supports program team in assessing needs to achieve timeline, quality and budget goals.
- Develops tracking tools and supports the maintenance and accuracy of key deliverables and project / program dossier to improve tracking, planning and collaboration. If required, identifies additional solutions to improve information sharing processes.
- Ensures effective, accurate and timely communication across functional areas within the project/program, serving as a point of contact among functional areas for project/program-related issues.
- Identifies and implements cross-project/program working/best practices to facilitate standardization and coordination across disciplines, functions and/or programs.
- Assesses project issues and develops solutions to meet productivity and quality goals and objectives.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Solid practical working knowledge of project management techniques and concepts as they apply to the drug development / pharmaceutical industry in matrix environment.
- Proficient in relevant software: MS Project, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Access, etc. in addition to general knowledge with shared work environments. Experience in areas such as clinical operations, CMC and regulatory is a plus.
- Exceptional project management skills, specifically timeline and budget development and oversight with hands-on experience from preclinical through clinical development.
- Ability to capture technical discussion in the form of meeting minutes, decision points and action items.
- Previous work and leadership experience with a large biotech or pharmaceutical company.
- Previous interaction or participation in cross-functional drug development teams and work in a scientific or clinical setting supporting drug development is desired.
- Significant cross-functional leadership capabilities – ability to lead, collaborate and influence without authority; uses informal structure, dynamics and culture to get things done.
- Broad operational experience with an understanding of drug development process is ideal.
- Ability to drive problem solving, decision making, and issue resolution.
- Confident and respectful when interacting with all levels of management; stays focused and on-point, and raises problems or challenges in a productive, solution-minded manner.
- Displays persistence and resilience to overcome project obstacles and drive to completion.
- Energetic, highly organized, detail-oriented, diplomatic and calm under pressure.
- Able to deal with uncertainty in a constructive manner and generate options for moving forward.
- Comfortable with change, readily adaptable, with a solid sense of humor and ability to navigate both success and failure gracefully.
- Unquestionable ethics and integrity.
- BS in a scientific discipline with 7+ years / MS or PhD with 5+ years of project management experience in the drug development or pharmaceutical industry. Advanced degree (PhD, MS, MBA) preferred.